Monday, November 26, 2007

Weeks vs. Bynum: Round Two



Seems like the battle between Bishop Thomas Weeks III and popular teleevangelist Juanita Bynum is still on.

A recent press conference on Thanksgiving Day was staged by Thomas Weeks III on the church property of Global Destiny Church in Atlanta as he faced allegations and statements made by his estranged wife Juanita Bynum during an interview in the current issue of Essence magazine. He also ended his silence concerning the tax debt that made national news surrounding his Duluth, Georgia home and the crisis surrounding Global Destiny Ministries.

“The time has come," Weeks states, "to bring clarity to a number of rumors, conjectures, lies, dramatized statements. I have not come here to attack Juanita Bynum.” He furthered that in order to protect his wife; he has purposely rejected countless opportunities for interviews to publicly answer allegations against him regarding domestic violence. He said, “I must address fact from fiction,” calling the rumors and conjectures “a serious plot to destroy” his ministry and everything that “I am about.” Yet he believes that the rocky marriage is still repairable.

As for the foreclosure on their home, Weeks explained that the house was under a lease-purchase agreement and that they had fulfilled their part of the agreement without making the decision to purchase it.

Shocking details, from his point-of view, were also released from Weeks claiming the severe bruises that were photographed and identified by her staff during the August meeting at an Atlanta hotel were not made by him as she proclaims and believes it is another way to sabotage his name and ministry. "She is part of a serious plot to destroy everything I was apart of,” he said, adding that the article, which features part two next month, was “crafted to make me look like a villain.” He even went further to state that she has been the aggressor in the relationship and he has been beaten by her numerous times.

“Everything will come out in court,” he repeated throughout the news conference.

On Sunday, Bynum responded to Weeks’ charges in a statement through her publicist. "Bishop Weeks is doing exactly what he promised he would do and that is, try to destroy my name with lies, fabrications and exaggerations," the pastor said. "His behavior is to be expected."

She went on in her statement, made by her publicist Amy Malone, that "at this stage of my ministry/career with major projects pending, I would not have had any motive to stage my own attack and bring worldwide negative press to myself. I am confident in the power of truth! I was Juanita Bynum when I walked into this marriage and I will continue to be Juanita Bynum as I exit from this marriage in spite of all false allegations that have come against my name."

The couple's divorce is still pending in Gwinnett County Superior Court.


[EVIDENCE UNDER TRIAL]

No comments: